Tuesday, February 19, 2013

An open letter to Baby Magee

Dear Baby Magee - Well we've been together now for 34 weeks (8 and a half months) and in 6 weeks give or take you'll be making your debut on the outside. I feel a little anxious for your arrival. It is definitely easier with you on the inside. You haven't caused me too many problems. Lately I find it hard to breath because you are crushing my lungs and sometimes my heartburn is unbearable because my stomach is in my throat. I find myself waking up about 3 times a night just to pee and your head pressing down into my bladder doesn't help much. I feel you moving all the time which means you'll probably be active like me and your dad. I have trouble sleeping now but I guess that's just preparing me for your arrival. I'm enjoying savasana in yoga because I find it hard to take naps at home.

As our last few weeks together draw to a close I just wanted to let you know the good has outweighed the bad. At first I wasn't sure about your presence but now I am enjoying you and the attention you bring. I know after you arrive no one will want to touch my belly anymore or ask how I'm feeling. I know after you arrive I won't have an instant conversation starter when you aren't with me and I won't have an excuse to get massages, manicures or pedicures like I do now. But you'll be here and we will finally meet face to face and I hope your journey out into the world is as stress free for you as I'm hoping it will be for me.

I just wanted most of all to say thank you. Thank you for showing me who my true friends are. For giving me a reason to cut the crap from my life. Thank you for giving me an excuse to celebrate life and also permission to be a home body. Thank you for teaching me that weight gain doesn't have to define me and that I can still work out and enjoy classes. Thank you for getting me back to my yoga mat - a space I have been avoiding for whatever reason for awhile. Thank you for showing me what a good husband Chad could be. How he indulges my cravings and crazy behavior. For showing me what an excited mom and in-laws I have. I am seeing that pregnancy isn't just about me or you it's about the connections it creates. All the advice and the conversations, both good and bad and strange. Thank you for taking me on this journey and out of my comfort zone like no one in my life has ever done. I know we will have many more to come. I don't know who you will be or if you'll even like me in the future but know that I have loved you since the beginning and I'll love you until the day I die. No matter what happens. I know your birth day is coming up and we are all excited to celebrate you and welcome you to the world. I have a nice day planned for whenever you decide to arrive. And even though I'm excited to hold you on the outside, just know I will miss this time together. Where you go wherever I go, where I can take care of you without thought. I will miss feeling you punch and kick me, I will miss showing you off and yes I'll even miss strangers wanting to touch my belly as if is magic and by touching it they can feel connected to you.

It's not everyone in this lifetime that gets to have someone be by their side 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 9 months. I feel blessed you chose me. I hope I provided a good home for you in the meantime. But just wait -there's a whole world waiting for you out here...I can't wait for you to see.



3 comments:

  1. So excited for you three! (well I guess 5 to include the furry siblings too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love. Natalie as your family grows the Magees are only going to become cooler. So grateful to be around such fun, grounded, caring people. Your baby is incredibly blessed, and it will know it, even if it still punches and kicks you sometimes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am seeing that pregnancy isn't just about me or you it's about the connections it creates."

    There are at least 2 dharma talks here! Nicely said.

    - Oz

    ReplyDelete