Wednesday, August 1, 2012

3 years of being a Magee

July 18th, 2009 was when I became a Magee. I can't particularly tell you why I chose the 18th but I think subconsciously that number has a special meaning to me. I was born on the 18th and my sister and grandparents and my in-laws were married on the 18th. It seems to be a lucky number for me. Last year for our wedding anniversary we celebrated by hiking two 14ers to celebrate two years - Shavano and Tabeguash. Guess whose idea that was?! Since we had an outdoor wedding and celebrated our first anniversary on the lake in Michigan you can guess I'm a fan of spending the  event outdoors.
wedding day July 18th 2009
first wedding anniversary on walloon lake
second wedding anniversary hiking Shavano and Tabeguash
 This year we celebrated by sky diving since the actual anniversary  took place on a weekday and I had to fly until late that night. You can say we were "falling back in love" as it were. As Chad says, if we are sky diving now for our third anniversary what will we have to do in 20 years?!
ready to take a flying leap of faith

Looking back, it's more than  just three years of marriage it's 7 years of being together. As I tell Chad often, I don't always like you but I always love you. Around this three year mark I definitely had my moments of wondering if I had picked the right person to spend the rest of my life with. How can you know if you will be right for each other ten, 15, 20 years from now? And as a friend pointed out to me, you make the choice every day to be with that person. It's not looking at the years ahead it's looking at the days as they come.

 Every day I wake up and I make the choice to be with Chad that day for the good or bad. Sometimes we have bad days, we can't agree, we fight, we ( I should say me) slam doors, and contrary to popular theory we do go to bed angry. But others, and I would say the majority of days, we smile, we laugh, we have adventures, we do nice things for each other, we agree, we listen and we celebrate. And I see my single friends and though the grass does indeed look greener sometimes, in the end I realize that what I have is what everyone out there searches for, what I searched for which is someone to share your life with. Because what is this life if we don't have someone to celebrate in our joys and sorrows? Someone who knows the ins and outs of you and the worst parts and loves you anyway. Chad has seen me in my low points, he knows me outside of the yoga studio, the flight attendant uniform, the daughter, the sister, the friend, the crazy one....He truly is my best friend because he knows every side to me. Everyone should find someone like that in their life. He has put me before himself so many times and supported my dreams whatever they may be. And sometimes this, these things I forget on a day to day basis. When I come home and the bed isn't made and there are dishes in the sink and mud on the floor and clothing still in the washer - I forget that this is the same man who has unselfishly helped me get where I am. It's easy to forget sometimes, why you fell in love with someone in the first place. Because it's not always sunshine and rainbows and glitter. But at the end of the day, if you can come home to someone who will love you no matter how bad you screw up or how irrational you can be, well that's more than a husband that's a best friend.

Driving each other nuts since 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment